The four words that always make an audio reader break out into a sweat is when he hears the words "read by the author". Sometimes you are wrong, and an author can be a good reader. Often though you realize why writing and narration are two distinct fields. The book was so boring that I couldn't get through the CD's. It's a shame, because it covers a subject with which many of us could stand improvement.
One of the worst CD books I've ever listened to. So boring that I couldn't even get through the whole thing. It only had information which is common sense. Wasn't helpful.
Not bad, but not a lot of new ideas. db
Love this book. I'm a young millennial so sometimes it's hard for me to accept the non-electronic tips but at the end of the day - the core advice from this books needs to be followed to be successful. Learn his way first and then decide what to do afterwards instead of nitpicking from the beginning. My home is more organized and my work and study plans are more clear.
I found it to be helpful
Great book, great narrator. Superb and universal time management manual for anyone, not just manager, usable both in personal and professional life.
Excellent book. Helped me a lot to stay relaxed, and focused without getting overwhelmed.
listen at 1.25x speed.
the beginning shoulds a little like self-gratulation.... it's unnecessary sales pitchy style for a chapter or something.
it makes sense I think. but to really implement it, it really needs to be reread, repeat repeat. reread. it's hard to..... follow? or just really need to get your head around it.
What an incredible resource. I can see how the methodology would be daunting for some, but it fits in very well with my existing processes, and the "tips" alone (such as a 2 minute rule, organizing next actions by context, establishing a "waiting for" list, etc) are gold nuggets of wisdom. I was surprised by how much deeper the book went than simple boring organizational theory. It's about mindfulness, being present in the moment, and finding clarity from the bottom up. Will definitely listen to it again!
Getting things done is not as important as simplifying life. I felt like this book was all about getting more done so you can do more which results in a complex less meaningful life. I was bored and didn't finish the book. Maybe the second half is better. Not sure if I will ever find out for myself.
I enjoyed the ideas in this book/CD but think it would be good to read the printed version to actually be able to make notes in the book. As other suggest, maybe listening with a notebook handy is the way to treat this book because it is filled with actionable steps. I listen in the car during my commute so it's kind of tough. Regardless, I think I'll buy the book now and share it with my employees. I know I've just done two little things and my employees have noticed the change in my productivity!
Good ideas but got a little bit boring. The third CD was damaged so I didn't get a chance to listen to it but after getting through the first two I didn't mind not hearing the 3rd. Who knows ... it could have been much more compelling.
I found it very helpful. It had some sound suggestions for my problem with time-management. I'm convinced that if I execute even 1/2 of his suggestions, my quality of life will be be greatly improved.
This book presents a very basic approach to productivity and management of personal work. The book is fast paced and mildly interesting. My guess is that it would work much better if one reads it. Listening to this book probably limits what one can get from it. I must admit I didn't finish all 4 CD's and probably recommend this book to someone looking for basic management information.
The only bad thing I have to say about this one is, you probably need to get the written version, or listen to this while you take notes. All of the advice is action oriented and you need to translate that to a written format for later review.
This book is absolutely horrible!!! If you are competent at all, this book is not for you. If you don't have an ounce of organization, this would be a good book. I already do 90% of the things suggested, and the other 10% are a waste of time. Maybe good for an elementary school student??? DON'T RENT.
Very well done. Not preachy or pushy. The tips are essentially to extend what you probably already do. I have applied some of his ideas and it's worked quite well. And he's a good reader of his own material.
David Allen gave me lots to think about - I'm going to try his suggestions to help "clear my mind" to focus on the task at hand while setting up a structure to make sure that none of my other tasks get forgotten.
David Allen and GTD helped me get control of my overwhelming workload. I have just as much work to do but am 'dealing with it' better than ever before.