When the Pressure's On
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Date: May 2016
Duration: 4 hours 18 minutes
When "Sully" Sullenberger's plane lost both engines after takeoff, the pilot calmly landed the disabled plane in the icy Hudson.
When General Eisenhower faced stormy weather on the Normandy coast, he patiently assessed the forecast and picked an optimal time for launching the D-Day invasion.
When a young Bill Gates and his nascent operating system were rejected by IBM, he didn't flinch. His company would eventually take IBM's place.
How can you also perform as adeptly under extreme duress, whether you're managing a crisis, meeting tight deadlines, or delivering a high-stakes presentation? More than talent, more than education, even more than bravery, what you need to excel is better mental strength.
Unlocking the secrets of winning athletes and elite military units, When the Pressure's On identifies the five skills they all use to power through stress, and offers you a conditioning program to develop each one:
1. Goal Setting-become mission-driven, pinpointing goals that engage the heart and mind
2. Adaptive Thinking-replace negative thoughts with positive ones, and be open to new ideas
3. Stress/Energy Management-keep your cool no matter what, and know how to trigger a relaxation response
4. Attention Control-maintain focus despite distractions, from technology overload to constant interruptions
5. Imagery-use the creative side of your brain to envision future scenarios and picture yourself reaching your goals
Drawing on decades of research, Louis S. Csoka offers you peak performance techniques, and the latest insights from the fields of biofeedback and neuroscience that will make the five-point training program clear and easy to perform. His simple exercises will strengthen parts of the brain you didn't even know existed, rewiring your stress responses and helping you exert calm and clear-headed leadership in every situation.