Church of the Trasfiguration on Ilyina street. Velikiy Novgorod. Russia
Publisher: Cities Heirs of Byzantium Non Profit Association ACEB
Date: March 2017
Duration: 0 hours 19 minutes
The audioguide tells the story, describes the architecture and reports interesting facts about the church of the Transfiguration on Elia Street, one of Novgorod's most significant monuments, directly and definitely linked to the Byzantine culture of the Paleologist era.
In the III Novgorod Chronicle, of the end of the 17th century, it is said that "in the summer of 6886 (1378) the church of our Lord God and Our Savior Jesus Christ was frescoed in the name of the Holy Transfiguration, by order of the noble boiaro devotee to the Lord, Vasilij Danilovi?, and the community of via Elia. The fresco was created by the Greek master Theophane ... ".
The first mention of the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior dates back to the 12th century. It is associated with the miraculous salvation of the city of Novgorod by the troops of Andrej Bogoljubskij who had besieged it.
According to the legend, defending the city was the altarpiece, depicting the "Madonna of the Sign", which was kept in the church. In 1374, the inhabitants of Elia Street, the main street of the Market Area, replaced the wooden church with one in stone. It was consecrated by Archbishop Aleksej, with the participation of the clergy of the Santa Sofia cathedral. This attests to the importance the church occupied and the prestige of its position. The inside of the church strikes for its height, for the lighting system and for the frescoes that have been preserved by Theophane, the Greek Byzantine artist. You can examine the 3D model of the church and observe its interior through the MuByz App. The audioguide has been made by professionals in the field of history and art.