The Danger Within Us: America's Untested, Unregulated Medical Device Industry and One Man's Battle to Survive It
Publisher: Hachette Book Group USA
Date: December 2017
Duration: 10 hours 7 minutes
Did you know...
- Medical interventions have become the third leading cause of death in America, killing more Americans each year than diabetes, murders, car accidents and AIDS combined.
- An estimated 10 percent of Americans are implanted with medical devices - like pacemakers, artificial hips, cardiac stents, etc.
- The overwhelming majority of high-risk implanted devices have never undergone a single clinical trial.
- The FDA lets device manufacturers decide whether to report serious complications or deaths that may have been caused by their products.
- The average salary and compensation package for CEOs of the 18 publicly traded medical device companies in the U.S. was $1.3 million and $15.4 million respectively as of 2015.
In THE DANGER WITHIN US, award-winning journalist Jeanne Lenzer brings these horrifying statistics to life through the story of one working class man who, after his "cure" nearly kills him, ends up in a battle for justice against the medical establishment.
His crusade leads Lenzer on a journey through the dark underbelly of the medical device industry, a fascinating and disturbing world that hasn't been written about before. What Lenzer exposes will shock readers: rampant corruption, elaborate cover-ups, shameless profiteering, and astonishing lack of oversight, all of which leads to dangerous devices (from artificial hips to pacemakers) going to market and into our bodies.
In the vein of America's Bitter Pill and A Civil Action, THE DANGER WITHIN US is a meticulously researched and propulsive read that will fill you with anger and indignation, a stirring call for reform, and a must-read for anyone who cares about the future of American healthcare.
**Contact Customer Service for Additional Material**