The Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting a New Age of Threat

Unabridged Audiobook

Written By: Gabriella Blum, Benjamin Wittes

Narrated By: Tom Weiner

Publisher: Blackstone Audiobooks

Date: March 2015

Duration: 12 hours 0 minutes

Summary:

From drone warfare in theMiddle East to digital spying by the National Security Agency, the USgovernment has harnessed the power of cutting-edge technology to awesomeeffect. But what happens when ordinary people have the same tools at theirfingertips? Advances in cybertechnology, biotechnology, and robotics mean thatmore people than ever before have access to potentially dangeroustechnologies-from drones to computer networks and biological agents-that couldbe used to attack states and private citizens alike.
In The Future ofViolence, law and security experts Benjamin Wittes and Gabriella Blumdetail the myriad possibilities, challenges, and enormous risks present in themodern world and argue that if our national governments can no longeradequately protect us from harm, they will lose their legitimacy. Consequently,governments, companies, and citizens must rethink their security efforts toprotect lives and liberty. In this brave new world where many little brothersare as menacing as any Big Brother, safeguarding our liberty and privacy mayrequire strong domestic and international surveillance and regulatory controls.Maintaining security in this world where anyone can attack anyone requires aglobal perspective, with more multinational forces and greater action toprotect (and protect against) weaker states who do not yet have the capabilityto police their own people. Drawing on political thinkers from Thomas Hobbes tothe Founders and beyond, Wittes and Blum show that, despite recentprotestations to the contrary, security and liberty are mutually supportive,and we must embrace one to ensure the other.
The Future of Violence is at once an introduction to our emergingworld-one in which students can print guns with 3-D printers and scientists'manipulations of viruses can be recreated and unleashed by ordinary people-andan authoritative blueprint for how government must adapt in order to surviveand protect us.

Genres:

  • William Engel

    The first 10% of the book is a look at the future of violence. The remaining 90% is liberal academic blather on the evolution of the state circa Hobbs and Locke that strays light years from the subject of the book. I stayed with it in hopes the author would eventually bring it all together but that never happened.

Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting a New Age of Threat

by Gabriella Blum, Benjamin Wittes

has successfully been added to your shopping cart

Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting a New Age of Threat, Gabriella Blum, Benjamin Wittes
Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting a New Age of Threat, Gabriella Blum, Benjamin Wittes
This title is due for release on March 10, 2015.

Enter your email below to be notified as soon as it is available!

By clicking "Notify Me" you consent to receiving electronic marketing communications from Audiobooks.com. You will be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Already a member? Log In to add this title to your wishlist.
Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting a New Age of Threat, Gabriella Blum, Benjamin Wittes
This title is due for release on March 10, 2015
We'll send you an email as soon as it is available!

Already a member?
Log in to add this title in your wishlist
Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting a New Age of Threat, Gabriella Blum, Benjamin Wittes
Please Log in and add this title to your wishlist.
Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting a New Age of Threat, Gabriella Blum, Benjamin Wittes

We will send you an email as soon as this title is available.