Healthy Living in the Catskills: A Joe & Lorie Special
Narrated By: ,
Publisher: Blackstone Audiobooks
Date: April 2013
Duration: 2 hours 0 minutes
In this two-hour public-radio documentary, husband and wife Joe Bevilacqua (Joe Bev) and Lorie Kellogg explore the rural byways within four miles of their home in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains of New York State and find local business owners working to promote healthy lifestyles that have a national impact.
1. Sheldon Lublin has traveled the world, hitchhiked across the country, met Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg, and recently retired from his successful psychotherapy practice in New York City.
2. Dick and Pat Peters, owners of Peter's Market, in Napanoch, New York, went on a journey to becoming a healthy alternative market.
3. John Hiller and Carol Debberman created vegetarian Sunshine Burgers in Ellenville, New York, and they are sold at Peter's Market and in markets across the country.
4. A collage of water sounds recorded in the Catskills.
5. Oleh and Nadia Maczaj are the owners of Rusty Plough Farm, a small family farm that grows certified organic vegetables, flowers, and berries, as well as eggs from free-range hens. The farm is located in Ulster County, New York, nestled between the Shawangunk Mountains and the Catskills. It consists of thirty-six acres, including crop fields; wild blueberry stands; woodlots; a pond; a maze of old stone walls; an old rusty plough; wild turkeys, deer, hawks, squirrels; the occasional bear; multitudes of frogs and newts; Sneakers and Sandy the barn cats; and the house, barn, and greenhouse.