Great narrator, doing her best with what would kill you if you turned it into a drinking game (details below)! She brought believe-ability to this fluffy, clean Christmas romance. I appreciated her clear diction, range, and warmth. Kudos, Em Eldrige!
The drinking game. I've also posted this over on goodreads.
Do not, under any circumstances, take a drink every time
- Merry feels love towards her family
- Jason feels pressure because of The Project
- Merry holds back what she actually wants to say, especially to her family
- Jason has never experienced familial/parental love
- Merry feels festive and sees the world in a rose-tinted way
- Jason has never experienced Christmas beyond material things
Do not do that. If you do, you will die. By the third chapter. Maybe before. And I can't be responsible for that.
That said, this book was exactly what I needed it to be when it arrived in my life: a marshmallowy sweet sappy love story. Who cares if it reads like the first draft of a relatively competent NaNoWriMo novel? It doesn't need fabulous prose -- I'm here for the pining and the angst and the swoons! ^_^