Last Updated March 13, 2012
Information We Collect and How We Use It
We collect personal information that we believe will improve our ability to offer this service to you. Here are some of the categories of information we may collect:
- Personal Attributes/Interests: We invite members to let us know which genres they enjoy most. We may also ask for demographic information (age, gender, geographic location, etc.) so that we can determine characteristics of our user base as a whole
- Listening History: We collect information on content that is downloaded or streamed, pages viewed on our website, and links that are clicked on. This is NOT connected to individual accounts
- Viewing Web Pages: As with most web sites, your computer sends information that gets logged by a web server when you browse our site. This typically includes your computer's IP address, operating system, browser name/version, the referring web page, requested page, date/time, and sometimes a "cookie" (which can be disabled using your browser preferences) to help the site remember your last visit. The information is included in anonymous statistics to allow us to understand how visitors use our site
- Social Media: If you voluntarily participate in communications with us, including but not limited to blog comments, Facebook posts, tweets and improvement suggestions, we maintain information such as your nickname
- Email Address and First Name: We ask you for your email address. We use this information to keep you updated, ask you to participate in surveys that help us make Audiobooks.com better, respond to or confirm your requests, and notify you of unusual account actions (e.g. password resets). We will assume you are interested in receiving emails from us and knowing when there are updates to Audiobooks.com or its service, including any updates to its functionality or to the content available (allowing you to "opt-out" if you are not interested). There may be cases in which we use this information to provide you with promotional information related to Audiobooks.com or any offer Audiobooks.com deems would be of interest to its members. You can opt-out of email communications from us at any time
When you register for an Audiobooks.com account, we collect your name, email address, billing address and credit card (or other payment service) details. This information will not be shared with third parties except to the extent required to provide you with the services you have requested (e.g. VeriSign for credit card processing). We have access to your user-specified password, for the purpose of providing customer service.
We take reasonable precautions to keep your personal information secure from unauthorized access, such as encrypted transmission between your computer and our servers and internal corporate policies to limit access to systems that store your personal information. We continue to store your personal information only for so long as it is necessary to provide you our service and periodically destroy old personal information in accordance with our company policies, including when it is no longer essential to our ability to offer you the same high quality service. In most cases, we will keep one archival copy of your information to allow us to comply with laws or respond to legal processes.
Sharing of your Information
We will never sell or rent your email address or any of your personal information. Unless we get your explicit approval in advance, we will only share your personal information as we believe is necessary to:
- Fulfill your requests;
- Enforce our Terms of Service;
- Protect personal safety;
- Respond to legal processes, such as subpoenas or court orders, or any other legal requirement;
- Allow us to use another company to email surveys to our users about their experience with Audiobooks.com, in which case we will prohibit the company from using your information for any other purpose; or,
- We will also share statistical and demographic information about our users and their use of the Audiobooks.com with suppliers of audio books. This would not include anything that could be used to identify you or to discover individual information about you.
Children and Audiobooks.com
Audiobooks.com is a general audience website, and does not knowingly collect, nor will it ever knowingly retain, personally identifiable information from any visitor Audiobooks.com actually knows to be under thirteen years of age without the consent of that child's parent or legal guardian.
Access to Your Information
You can access and update most of your personal information through the Audiobooks.com website. If you wish to review and/or correct any other personal information about you that is in our possession, please contact us.
If you do not want us to use your personal information, please contact us by email and let us know. Note that some withdrawals of consent will prevent us from providing services to you.
Changes to this Policy